Doctors & Nurses

Parents & Patients

Categories

Azithromycin



Azithromycin is a common antibiotic that is used to treat infections including chest, ear, throat, skin and bone infections. Azithromycin is related to another common antibiotic, erythromycin but offers slightly different activity. It has less activity against certain bacteria (known as gram-positive bacteria) but is more effective against other bacteria (gram-negative bacteria).

Azithromycin is sometimes used to treat pseudomonas aeruginosa infection and also lyme disease.

Azithromycin is usually taken once daily.

If your child vomits less than 30 minutes after being given a dose of Azithromycin you should repeat the dose. If more than 30 minutes has passed you can assume that the medicine has been absorbed.

Patients who are on long term azithromycin (greater than 3 months) should have a baseline ECG (for measurement of QTc) and then 3 monthly check ECG’s and blood tests for toxicity monitoring.