Amoxicillin is an antibiotic that belongs to the class of drugs known as penicillins. Therefore, if you are allergic to penicillin, you will be allergic to amoxicillin. Amoxicillin is good at treating common bacterial infections such as ear infections, throat infections, chest infections and urine infections.
Amoxicillin is very good at treating common bacterial infections but it has no role in the treatment of viral infections such as the common cold.
Amoxicillin is usually given three times a day.
Your doctor will work out the amount of amoxicillin that is right for your child. The dose will be shown on the medicine label. This is important as drug doses in children are worked out individually for each child.
Amoxicillin can be taken with or without food. How you give the medicine depends upon whether your child has been given tablets, capsules or syrup. Capsules should not be chewed.
What if my child vomits?
If your child vomits less than 30 minutes after being given a dose of amoxicillin you should repeat the dose. If more than 30 minutes has passed you can assume that the medicine has been absorbed.
If you have found this article useful please consider making a donation to the children’s e-hospital. This will allow us to continue to operate & no donation is too small. To donate please click on the link at the top of the page, thank you.
If your child gets a skin rash or itching, is short of breath, wheezing, or their face, lips or tongue start to swell, they may be allergic to amoxicillin. Take your child to hospital or call an ambulance straight away.
Other side effects may include stomach upset which usually settles after 24 hours. If it doesn’t you should arrange to see your GP.
Amoxicillin can reduce the effect of birth control pills. It can also be passed through breast milk so it is important to discuss this with your general practitioner.
Amoxicillin is commonly given alongside other antibiotics such as erythromycin or clarithromycin.